In the journey of a pregnant woman’s search for everything that is useful and healthy, and contains many minerals and vitamins, we offer her the elderberry plant, a plant known by several different names, such as elderberry, elderberry or elderberry, and it is possible to benefit from its white flowers or sweet black fruits in several ways. As for the rest of the plant, including seeds and leaves, they are considered invalid, but be aware that there are harmful side effects.. Hence, it was necessary to cook the fruits of the elderberry before eating it. To learn about the benefits and side effects of the elderberry fruit on the pregnant woman, the report revolves around the meeting and the nutrition expert, Dr. Manal Abdel Razek, for explanation and detail.
1- Information that interests you
- Elderberry is of several types, and contains groups of white flowers and black or blue berries, and the most common type is European elderberry or black elderberry.
- This berry contains a wide variety of nutrients, vitamins, amino acids, antioxidants, and minerals, which is why it is often used for medicinal health purposes.
- It helps in maintaining the health and prevention of the pregnant woman and the fetus… The elderberry plant can be consumed in different forms, some of them are easily available in the market and others you can make yourself.
- Learn more: the amazing benefits and harms of durian for pregnant women
2- General benefits of elderberry berries
- Several different studies have shown that elderberry fruits may help strengthen the immune system in the body, as these fruits contain a good amount of vitamin A and vitamin C.
- It relieves symptoms associated with cold and flu, such as: phlegm, fever, nasal congestion, muscle pain.
- As well as relieving symptoms associated with bacterial sinusitis, such as: swelling, headache, runny nose.
- Reducing the chances of infection with some types of viruses, such as the viruses that cause influenza type A and influenza type B.
- Elderberry contains a chemical compound that may have laxative properties, so a hot infusion of dried elderberry, i.e. elderberry tea, can help relieve constipation.
- Among the benefits of elderberry is also that its white flowers and fruits may help to combat some diseases, because it contains nutrients that may help: Improve insulin production processes.
- Learn more: Pregnant food in the first month..between what is required and what is rejected
Improving cardiovascular health
- Elderberries contain a relatively high amount of potassium and a variety of other chemical compounds and nutrients, which may help: Fight diabetes and regulate blood pressure levels.
- Regulating cholesterol levels.. Strengthening and improving blood circulation.
- Stimulating diuresis and combating fluid retention.
- Improving the appearance of the skin and improving its health… Fighting cancer.
- Strengthening the bones… Losing the extra weight.
- Reducing the chances of developing some eye diseases and problems.
- Fighting urinary tract infections… Relieve pain.
- Learn more: Eating ghee for pregnant women between the benefits and harms
4- The benefits of elderberry juice for pregnant women
- Elderberry juice contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and bioflavonoids, which are antioxidants, which makes the juice protective against various respiratory diseases. Such as cold, cough, sore throat, mucus buildup, chest congestion, asthma, and bronchitis.
- Several studies have revealed that the active ingredients in elderberry juice can prevent 8 different types of influenza from spreading.
- Prevents Infection: Elderberry juice works effectively when it comes to fighting against bacterial and viral infections; It is rich in vitamin C, and an antioxidant, which makes it a great choice for fighting microbes.
- Strengthens the immune system: It has been found that elderberry proteins can make the body less responsive to diseases and infections, as regular consumption of elderberry juice increases the production of these compounds in the body, and makes its immune system stronger.
- Digestive health is essential to achieving good health, elderberry juice can stimulate the digestive glands inside the pregnant body in sufficient quantity to make digestive juices, which leads to a stronger and healthier digestive system..which prevents constipation.
5- Elderberry juice regulates cholesterol levels
- It keeps the level of cholesterol in the blood under control, and plays a key role in regulating cholesterol levels in the bloodstream of a pregnant woman, and reduces its harmful level in the blood, which helps to keep away from heart diseases.
- Regular intake of elderberry juice is good and healthy for diabetic pregnant women, as it works directly on the pancreas and stimulates it to secrete insulin to a large extent, which helps to eliminate the disease completely.
- Elderberry juice also maintains bone health, with diuretic properties, all of which are useful in treating rheumatic arthritis cases, and acute joint pain, which keeps the bones strong and healthy.
- Elderberry is also a plant that contains many antioxidants that maintain the health of the cells of the body, as well as put an end to the damage caused by cell division, prevent the formation of tumors, and the destruction of cancer-causing cells.
- Finally, a pregnant woman can have clean skin if she includes elderberry in her daily diet; The presence of bioflavonoids makes it effective in eliminating acne and other blemishes.
6- Side effects of eating elderberry during pregnancy
- There is no scientific evidence to prove the harmful effects of elderberry. But to avoid it, you must buy fresh elderberry berries directly, and stay away from the store, and use sugar-free forms, to avoid eating extra calories.
- Raw elderberry berries contain bitter alkaloids, which may cause vomiting and nausea, in addition to stimulating the nervous system, which increases lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
- It also shows a negative reaction to elderberry when ingested by people with problems with the immune system, in addition to possible complications for the pregnant or breastfeeding woman, such as: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting.
- A drop in blood sugar levels may occur, which may be dangerous, if the pregnant woman has diabetes and is taking diabetes-reducing medications.
- Also, pay attention to an allergic reaction, and its symptoms include: breathing difficulties, skin rashes, and a negative reaction to some types of medications, such as diuretics.
Note from “Madam Net”: Before applying this recipe or this treatment, you should consult a specialized doctor.