Postponing military service is one of the methods that every citizen who has a valid reason to benefit from this right under the name of deferment application can apply. A person who has a military obligation may postpone his military service due to reasons such as education or health status. There have been new regulations regarding the postponement of military service within the scope of the Law on Recruitment No. 7179 dated 25/06/2019.
HOW IS MILITARY DEFERRED?
We know that the postponement of high school students and high school graduates, the postponement of associate and undergraduate students, the postponement of graduate students, the postponement of doctoral students, the postponement of second university and open education students are among the subjects of interest. According to the new military system, education, etc. We will list step-by-step what you need to do to move the military history further.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR DEFERRED MILITARY
- Graduation diploma and 4 photocopies
- Identity card and 4 photocopies
- 6 recent passport photos
- Driver’s license and 2 photocopies, if any
WHAT DOES MILITARY DISPATCH DATES DELAYED?
Specific referral dates are given by the Ministry of National Defense for those who apply for military service. If there is a delay in these dispatch dates, you will have to wait until that time for military service.
E-GOVERNMENT MILITARY DELAY
Postponement of military service has started via e-Government. Especially after the pandemic process, the postponement of military service was moved to the internet. Those who want to postpone their military service, you can reach them via https://www.turkiye.gov.tr/msb-asal-askerlik-erteleme-basvurusu.
MILITARY DEFERENCE WITH PRICE
- The number of obligors to be granted paid military service is determined by the Ministry of National Defense in coordination with the General Staff. The units where they will do their basic military service and the quota of these units are notified to the Ministry of National Defense by the General Staff until 31 December.
- In the event that the number of applicants is more than the number of obligors who will benefit from paid military service, the ones to be benefited are determined by the classification board in January of the following year on the dates determined by the Ministry of National Defense. In the event that the number of bidders is less than the number of obligors to benefit from paid military service, all bidders are made to benefit from paid military service without drawing lots.
- The assignment of the obliged to the force commands, their classification and distribution to the unit commands where they will receive basic military training, and drawing lots are made by the classification committee.
- Those who were not selected for military service with pay as a result of the lottery may apply to benefit from paid military service again in the following years, as long as their legal right to postponement continues.
- Requests for change of summons and referral periods related to paid military service are evaluated by the General Directorate of Recruitment, provided that they want to complete basic military training in another summons period within that year.
- Excuse situations specified in Article 59 of the Recruitment Regulation for those who have the right to benefit from paid military service;
- his arrest or conviction,
- Disease requiring rest, documented by any medical report,
- Illness that shows that his spouse or one of his blood/in-law relatives, including second degree, is in life-threatening condition, documented by a health institution committee report,
- Death of spouse or second-degree blood/in-law relatives before or within fifteen days of referral,
- Marriage of himself or one of his second degree blood/in-law relatives within fifteen days before or after the referral,
- Postponements are not made, except in cases where the child is born within two months before or after the dispatch.
DEFERENCES FOR UNDERGRADUATE AND LESS LEVEL STUDENT
- The military service of those who have undergraduate and lower education is maximum;
- Until the end of the year they complete the age of 22 in high school or equivalent schools,
- In faculties, colleges and vocational colleges, they are postponed until the end of the year they complete the age of 28, until they graduate or they are dismissed.
- The enrollment date of the school they first enrolled in is taken as the basis for calculating the maximum student period of students who change schools by transferring, including those who have transferred to different programs.
- The military service of the students enrolled in the double major program is postponed according to their studentship in this major program, if their studentship in the other major program continues when they graduate from a program.
- The military service of those who continue their education in more than one educational institution at the same time is postponed according to the school that is suitable for their benefit until they graduate or they are dismissed as long as their studentship is reported.
- If the obliged parties enroll in a school equivalent to or below the school they graduated from, or if they graduate from one of these while studying at more than one higher education institution at the same level, their military service is not postponed due to their other education continuing at the same level.
- Military service is not postponed for those whose enrollment date is after the absenteeism of attendance or the date of suffocation.
- According to the clause (b) of the second paragraph of Article 27 of the Recruitment Regulation, “Those whose postponement has expired and those who do not have the right to postpone will be included in the first classification source if it is found that they are suitable for military service” as a result of the examinations, and they will be taken to the classification source by being examined as attendance fugitive; The military service of those who enroll in the school until the date of transfer is not postponed.
- The military service of those who study in higher education institutions abroad is postponed according to the principles in the first to ninth paragraphs following the recognition of the school by the authorized Turkish authorities.
- The information of those who are studying, deregistered or graduated in educational institutions is received by the Ministry of National Defense in electronic environment and recorded in their military enlistment records. Information about students is kept up-to-date by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of National Education and the Council of Higher Education.
- The military service status of the obliged parties, who are declared to have the right to enroll by the education institutions, is shared with the requesting institutions by the Ministry. The registration of obliged parties who are not related to military service is made without seeking a military status document. Those who are related to military service are directed to the military branches by the school administrations. A military status certificate is not requested from those who have not yet entered the military age at the date of registration.
- According to the legislation of foreign countries, following the approval of the student status documents to be issued for those studying in secondary schools providing education and training in Turkey by the provincial/district directorate of national education to which the school is affiliated, their military service is postponed due to their studentship. When the education information is received from the Ministry of National Education in the electronic environment, the postponement process is made according to this information.
- The military service of those who are educated in vocational training centers and vocational schools is postponed until the end of the course or school, not exceeding the age of 22.
- Military service of those who graduated from a high school or higher education institution is not postponed due to vocational training centers and vocational school education.
- Acceptance of the obliged parties who reside in Turkey and receive distance education by enrolling in universities abroad, the original student certificate, the Turkish translation of these documents translated by a sworn translator and approved by the notary, and a QR code to be obtained via e-Government or to be obtained from the Higher Education Council. If they apply to the military service branch with the “Institution Recognition Certificate”, their military service is postponed until the end of the maximum age limit specified in the second and fourth paragraphs of Article 20 of the Recruitment Law No. 7179.
DEFERRED FROM EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS WHO LEFT, RELEASED OR GRADUATED
- In case of military service requests of the obligated persons, without any roll call as of the date of graduation or dismissal;
- Three years for those who graduated from high school or its equivalent,
- Six years for those who graduate from vocational and technical high schools,
- Two years for those who have been dismissed from faculties, colleges or vocational schools and those who have graduated from vocational school,
- Two years from the date of graduation for those who have graduated from higher education institutions for four years or more,
- Those who have completed their master’s education are postponed for one year. These postponement periods; It cannot exceed the age of 22 for high school or equivalent school graduates, 25 years old for vocational and technical high school graduates, 28 years old for those who have been dismissed from faculties, colleges or vocational schools, and 32 years old for graduates of higher education institutions for four years or longer. .
- The postponement period of graduates of foreign higher education institutions cannot exceed three years from the graduation date for undergraduate graduates and two years from the graduation date for graduate graduates in any way.
- The military service of those who enroll in a higher education institution during the postponement period is postponed due to studentship.
- Postponement of those who graduated from high school or equivalent schools or vocational schools before entering the military age, and those who were dismissed from faculties/schools or vocational schools, start from the year they entered the military age.
- Those who have graduated from education institutions abroad at the undergraduate or graduate level, the original Turkish translation translated by a sworn translator and a notarized copy of the graduation certificate, provided that they apply to the military branches, provided that they are not older than 32 years, those who graduate from undergraduate education for two years, those who graduate from graduate education for one year. Delays are made for a year. If those whose equivalence proceedings are not concluded within these periods request a postponement again by documenting that the equivalence proceedings are still in progress, their military service is postponed for an additional year from the end of the postponement so that they can complete the equivalence proceedings, provided that they do not exceed the end of the year in which they turn 32.
- Among the graduates of the double major program, those who request postponement are processed through the program they want to process.
APPLICATION TO DEFER MILITARY SERVICE
We have prepared a sample letter of deferral of military service. You can review the petition below.